Vienna, Hapsburg Monarchy
Gold, forged, multicoloured enamel, silk ripsGold, forged, multicoloured enamel, silk rips
diameter of the arms of the cross: 42 mm, small sash 58 mm wide
Maria Theresa founded the Order in 1757, as the highest military order for officers who have distinguished themselves by bravery and decisive action in battle.
The arms of the cross get narrower towards their crossing, and are slightly wavy at the ends. The arms are filled out with white enamel. The cross was worn on a small sash in the colours of the Austrian coat of arms (red-white-red). Obverse: Austrian coat of arms in the central medallion. In a white ring surrounding it an inscription in gold lettering: FORTITUDINI. Reverse: in a white medallion intertwined monograms of the royal couple, MTF, in gold. Surrounding the monograms a green laurel wreath.
The Cross belonged to the Croatian ban and general Josip Jelacic.
B. Prister, Odlikovanja, Zagreb, 1984, pages 14-15.